Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sacrificing for others

Acts 2:45
"And sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need"

What would drive someone to sell possessions (even though it doesn't say all possessions) and give to others?  The common Spirit that they all received at pentecost and now share the obvious answer.  But I feel that they were all now infused with a new kind of love that Jesus commanded them before He went to the cross.  That this is how the world will know they are His disciples, if you love one another.  I used to read this verse lightly and thing that they all sold all they had and put it into a pot and shared from it.  But it shows that the believers saw need and realized that extra possessions or even personal sacrifice would meet another persons need.  Do we see that in our world today?

Application - the fact that me and my family are here in Montana preparing for the mission field right now are because people are making sacrifices so we can live on "faith based support."  How dare I ever selfishly hold back and not do the same.  In a few short months we will be in a place where there will be great need.  And not only with believers as this text alludes to.  I need to freely give...even if it means a little, or great, sacrifice on my part. I have the same Spirit and love as the believers in the first church, I need to act like they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment