Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eating for the food?

Acts 2:46
"So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart"

These verses continue to speak to me about the effort and commitment the early church made to being with each other.  It was radical what they were doing, and little did they know, they were rewriting the course of history.  This wasn't a once a week thing of them getting together, they did it daily, it was habit to them.  And not only did they meet and eat together, they daily took turns hosting the fellowship.  The food wasn't the object or priority as a need, because their attitude was gladness and simplicity - they wanted the fellowship more than the food.

Application - I love to go out to eat and try and experience new foods.  I have been blessed to some very exquisite meals and dining experiences.  And I do remember enjoying them.  But the ones that I remember the best or crave to have again weren't the all you can eat ribs, but the best friends that I was with.  I don't remember what I ate at my wedding, I just remember how stoked I was that I was next to my beautiful new bride.  Meals and dinners should be about people, conversations, and laughter....not the food.  My purpose for meals should be about the people I am with.

No comments:

Post a Comment