Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jesus Standing

Acts 7:55
"But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God."

A lot of people claim to have seen heaven - like during a heart attack, or even Paul or John have seen a glimpse or vision of heaven.  But I think in this case there is a qualifier - being full of the Holy Spirit.  Stephen didn't get a glimpse, heaven was opened up to him and he gazed.  Like a human gazes at stars, or a newborns face, or me at my wife sleeping.  Another thing that jumps out at me is that Jesus is standing, not sitting like in Hebrews 1:3.  What would make God, the Son of God stand?  I get all excited at a a sporting event when something great is about to a happen - a goal is about to be scored.  I can see just fine from my seat, but in excitement and anticipation, I stand and either cheer wildly or sit in disappointment.

I might be going too far with this, but I feel that Jesus gets out of His seat, His throne each time I do something that honors Him.  My motivation is gratitude, but I want to keep Him standing.  Jesus was excited in anticipation with Stephen's faithfulness.  They were gazing at each other and Jesus was also anticipating one of His faithful servants coming home for good with the words "well done my good and faithful servant."  I need to daily gaze into heaven in the book in front of me and seek to get Jesus out of His seat as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment